I wanted to give everyone a heads up on the upcoming Father’s Walk, in which fathers across the county take time to walk their children to school the morning of Thursday September 17th. This annual walk is sponsored by The Cuyahoga County Fatherhood Initiative, Passages, I Am A Dream and the Healthy Fathering Collaborative. A list of the schools currently participating (as of September 10th) can be found HERE. Many schools have additional activities for fathers that day. Feel free to contact you child’s school if you do not see it listed.
On this date, fathers (ana father-figures) will be encouraged to take the following pledge:
- I am responsible for the education of my child.
- I will encourage all children to do their best every day at school.
- I will speak to my child about the value of learning and the importance of reaching your potential.
- I will help with school work and review assignments for completion.
- I will praise my child when he/she does well in school.
- I will speak with my child’s teachers and support them in educating my child.
- I will teach my child the value of education and the value of family.
- I will work with my child’s mother or guardian to achieve the best academic and social outcomes for my child even if I do not live with my child.
A few of my friends participated last year with their children, and share the same feelings of appreciation for something as simple as a walk to school, to take place in unison. I hope you spread the word, and enjoy the walk! 🙂